Trails Collective Weekly Rundown | August 6, 2021
August 6th, 2021
It was a busy week in Northeast Trail Running world. We’ll take you through events with registrations about to cap. Results including voices from the Collective as well as events coming up. A feature from Coach Sayard Tanis on the buildup and racing of Eric Kosek in the Ouray 100. Let’s get into it.
In the Media
A shout out to Jerry and Pamela of Life Is Trail Running. Jerry scored in picking off the most excellent Salomon Trail Bob hat. To many awesome miles in that buddy and thanks for the shout-out in the recent video entitled, Salomon Bucket Hat: 2021
Tesla Hertz Run’s 100k and 10 milers slated for October 9 in Rocky Point, NY capped as we projected this past week (don’t say we didn’t warn ya). Slots still exist for the 100 mile option. Tesla Hertz’ 100k makes the list of our Flat and Fast Northeast Trail races.
The Red Barn Challenge 6, 12 & 24 H, slated for October 1st in Lykens, PA are 97% full with only 3 spots remaining as of this past Monday. This event uses a flat grassy loop in repeat fashion for the timed duration.
Iron Mountain 16, 30, 40 & 50 milers, slated for September 4th in Damascus, VA are on the warning track at 91% full. We have Iron Mountain ranked #16 on our list of the toughest 50k’s in the Northeast.
Coopers Rock 50 km and Half Marathon, slated for August 21st in Bruceton Mills, WV are 97% Full. Only 8 slots remained as of this past Monday for this beautiful, WV course. We have Cooper’s Rock ranked #30 on the ranking of toughest Northeast 50k’s.
Sarah (Ports) Connor, 27m 53s for the Pine Knob Loop, 2.6 miles with 850’ of gain, lowering the prior mark by 15 minutes.
Bethany Garretson got out strong on the ADK46 attempt, clearing 38 before having to call it. The route and effort is truly incredible. Way to het out and after Bethany, and to the toughness to get through 38 of those beasts.
Justin Kousky, 12h 51m for the Devil’s Path Out and Back, 44 miles with somewhere around 17,000’ of elevation gain. Justin lowered his own prior mark from October, 2020 by 31 minutes. That’s a solid 9 month fitness pickup. Devil’s Path is arguably one of the toughest stretches anywhere and the out-back is pretty wild at that effort.
Brynn Cunningham, 2h 25m for the Quemahoning Reservoir Trail
- Dahlgren Heritage Rail Trail 50k, in King George, VA
- Gremlin Gallop 5k in Chicora, PA to benefit Karns City Cross Country
On the Bacon Trail – the Naylor Mill Trail 7k in Salisbury, MD. One that was lodged on my radar last year…you gotta choose between being on the Bacon, Scrapple, or Veggie teams, though it’s most likely that Bacon will get the win regardless. The crew advertises it as the toughest on the DelMarva, and as “hot, humid, and with trails that never seem to end”. And, with a ton of bacon for the eating and winning.
The Jarmans Invitational Marathon 30 miler in Crozet, VA. An amazingly wonderful event up and down Jarman’s to both crush and bring you into a pretty sweet trail community. And, if not already this month, you should take in this Crozet Running video from Jimmy and Denton
- 6 Hours on Lover’s Lane in Chester, VT, making use of a mixed trail 2 mile loop and an all-comers vibe.
- Soupy 7 Hour Summer Self Supported Endurance Race making use of a 4.43 mostly singletrack loop in Williamsburg, VA
Mountain Lakes Backyard Ultra LPS event put on by the crew at Steep Endurance will be running in North Salem, NY. Mountain Lakes is a North American qualifying race for Big Dog’s Backyard Ultra. Looking like there’s 37 entrants in the mix at the moment.
- Jenkins Mountain Scramble: Trail 10k and Half running at Paul Smiths College in the ADK’s of NY.
- Coopers Rock 50 km and Half Marathon running in Bruceton Mills, WV
Sunny Hill Trail Race 5k and 10k in Bolivar, NY
- Deerfly 5k / 10k in the Winona Forest of Mannsville, NY with a fast and mile 5k, and a pretty adventurous 10k with off-trail sections, steeps, and stream crossings.
- Baker Trail Ultra Challenge 50 Miler in Smicksburg, PA
- The Hyner Half in North Bend, PA
- Backyard Squatch Ultra in Branchville, NJ
- Mine Hill Half Marathon in Roxbury, CT
Results and Voices
- Beast of Burden 25, 50 & 100M ran in Lockport, NY under the new management of Happily Running. The course is a flat and fast stretch of the historic Erie Canal Towpath. To take us through the Beast of Burden summer edition, we have a clip from Jeff Holbrook woven into the video above.
- The Mighty Mosquito 99 Miler & Relay ran in Honeoye Falls, NY, made use of three rolling loops of Mendon Ponds State Park. Winner Cruz Nieves takes us through the day out there in the YouTube version above.
- Harriman Big Bear SquaTCh 7 Miler and Half Marathon, Tuxedo, NY went down and with a clip from Roselynn Bedoya in the video version above.
- The inaugural Run It To the Summit ran at Song Mountain in Tully, NY. EJ Boyce took the overall single loop win in a time of 7:23 with Erika Zazzara for the women’s win in 9:37. For the Double, AJ Beers took the win in 19:21 with Laura Kline for the women in 26:06. We hear from Laura Kline in the video version above.
Moosalamoo Ultra 14 & 36 Miler ran in Goshen, VT. Of 54 finishers in the 36 miler Amanda Quinlan of Manchester took the overall win in 6:29, the 7th fastest women’s time on the course, with second place and top dude being Jason Gray in 6:35. In the 14 miler Nathan Lalonde took the overall win in a field of 81 finishers, with Caitlin Quinn for the women. Both times place them as second fastest in the distance’s two year history.
Miner’s Lady 8H ran in Harper’s Ferry, WV. The Miner’s Lady sounds like a beautiful timed event. It uses a 10k loop where the Blue Ridge Mountains meet the Shenandoah River, with 850’ elevation gain which includes mountains, single track, waterfalls, and creek crossings. We get a clip into the video above from finisher Grayce Langheine.
National / Spotlight
Send off with clips from coach Sayard Tanis on PA’s Eric Kosek’s Ouray 100.