Trails Collective Weekly Rundown | July 30, 2021
The Trails Collective Weekly Rundown
July 30, 2021
This week we run through the Northeast Trail Running scene, including: trail Hospitality in the media; event registrations about to cap and open; results from last weekend with voices from Wakely Dam; gear in use; events coming this weekend. Let’s get into it!
In the Media
Sabrina Little, one of the strongest endurance runners in the country, keyed an article on Hospitality and tying in her times with VHTRC. Community is a central piece of our trail running world. In the iRunFar piece linked below, Sabrina weighs in on hospitality, and early experiences into the community with the Virginia Happy Trails crew.
Hot-List of Registrations
Only 2 spots remain for the Fire on the Mountain 25k / 50k slated for November 7th in Little Orleans, MD.
Tesla Hertz Run’s 100k and 10 milers slated for October 9 in Rocky Point, NY is up 4% to being 96% full for the 100k with only 1 spot remaining. Slots still exist for the 50 and 100 milers with the 10M and 50k’s sold out.
Secondary to continued COVID related travel restrictions, additional slots open up for the Eastern States 100. Get in on that carnage while you still can.
Registrations Opening Next Week
- Howland Preserve Trail Race slated for Saturday October 16th in Tunkhannock, PA
- Devil Dog Ultras 100k / 100M slated for December 4th in Triangle, VA
- Chocorua Mountain Race 25k slated for June 4th in Tamworth, NH
- Bold Coast Bash 10 / 20 / 30 Mile in Cutler, ME on August 2nd
- SMR Mayapple Trail Runs kids 1 mile, 10 – 20 M and 50k races in Millburn, NJ slated for October 16th
- Squatchy Leftovers 5k & 10k in Mountainside, NJ on November 27th
- Pocantico Hills Marathon in Sleepy Hollow, NY on November 13th
- Cabin Fever 50k slated for February 19th in New River Gorge National Park, WV
Whitney Pearson, The Double Presidential Traverse
“I am beyond excited to announce that I will be attempting the FKT for another Top 10 Premier Route, this time one that is practically in my backyard. The Double Presidential Traverse. This route includes 8 peaks throughout the notorious Presidential Mountain Range, about 37.2 miles, and about 17,000 feet of elevation gain. Pending that I successfully complete this goal, I will be the first woman to record an FKT (FASTEST KNOWN TIME) for it. I originally had planned to attempt this in about 1-2 weeks, but I could not pass up the perfect weather and full moon that tomorrow will bring.
Fastpacking is an up and coming sport, and I am so honored to be a part of the rapid growth; especially for women! This time around I want to help promote a few great sources for the sport. The official FKT website is www.fastestknowntime.com and they will once again be live tracking me since this is another premier route. This time my tracker info will be public for all to see if you want to follow along. Please check out all that the Fastest Known Time crew is doing on their website to help get this sport going and please consider making a donation and help supporting the growth of this sport.
I also want to share a great hiking community specifically for women, Hiker Babes! Hiker Babes is completely free to join and offers chapters all over the world to help women gain inspiration and empowerment through movements such as their 100 hike challenge. You can find out more about this great source at www.hikerbabescommunity.org. Don’t forget to check out their awesome online store!
Now lets go get women on the board for a DOUBLE PRESI, then one of you crazy female runners can come crush the time 😉”
- Anna Rizik, 2h 22m for the Shaupeneak Ridge – Every Trail, an opening unsupported mark for this 11 mile assembly.
- Katlin Rhodes, 13h 7m for the Bob Marshall Traverse, an opening women’s unsupported mark
- Bethany Garretson, 2h 48m for Pitchoff Mountain, shaving 10 minutes off of Laura Tuttle’s time from 2020.
- Slated to Start on August 2nd – Bethany Garretson for the ADK 46 High Peaks
Timothy Olson put in an incredible effort over one of the more iconic long trails in the nation, setting a new supported FKT on the Pacific Crest Trail. Check out the details via the iRunFar plug linked below.
On Thursday, July 22, 2021, ultrarunner Timothy Olson set a new men’s supported fastest known time (FKT) on the 2,653-mile Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) in the western United States. His time of 51 days, 16 hours, and 55 minutes (to be confirmed) bests the previous record set by Karel Sabbe of 52 days, 8 hours, and 25 minutes in 2016. Olson started at the PCT’s southern terminus on June 1, hiking and running an average of 51.3 miles per day.
A Race for the Future 24H in Pownal, ME (no results as of Tuesday night)
Bear Brook Trail Races 10k, Half Marathon, and Marathon in Allenstown, NH (No results as of Tuesday night, course marking issues)
MCW Westfield Ultra 3H, 6H, 9H, 12H, 24H in Westfield, NJ was held in part to raise awareness and funds for MissionCleanWater – In the 24H Ed Ettinghausen of CA emerged on top with 104 miles, with 2nd place overall and 1st female on the day going to Colleen Drahos with 92. In the distances down the overall wins went to Daniel Nelson in the 12h with 50.4, Cole Crosby with 60 in the 9H, Rhiannon Schade with 38.4 in the 6H, and Nick Cruz with 22.4 in the 3H.
- Wakely Dam Ultra 55k in Piseco, NY. Wakely Dam ran its 20th year. Full results aren’t listed yet but, with thanks to Jay Whitbourne nabbing a photo image of the top 14 on event day, it appears that Logan Van Buren bested the prior course record of 4:47 by 5 minutes, a pickup of 38 minutes over his prior time of 5:20 from 2019. That’s some pretty incredible improvement! In the YouTube Rundown embedded below we weave in reports from Jay Whitbourne and Logan Van Buren.
- MFAMTL (Maybe the First Annual Maybe the Last) 8H in Scottsville, NY (Valone and Eagan for next week). Of 49 finishers Charles Worl took the overall win with 44.8 miles covered, with 2nd place and top women’s spot going to Francesca Fuller with 38.4 miles. Both establish new course records for this inaugural event.
Mt. Sparta 24H Challenge in Pittsfield, VT – No results yet posted as of Tuesday night.
- Escape from Castle Craig 5 Person Relay in Meriden, CT
- Jug End Loop Trail 4.2 mile and 6Hr Race, July 31st in Egremont, MA.
- Endless Summer 6H in Annapolis, MD
- Beast of Burden 25, 50 & 100M in Lockport, NY
- The Mighty Mosquito 99 Miler & Relay in Honeoye Falls, NY
- Harriman Big Bear SquaTCh 7 Miler and Half Marathon, Tuxedo, NY
- Moosalamoo Ultra 14 & 36 Miler in Goshen, VT
- Mozo Double Up 11 Miler in Stowe, VT (Canceled for 2021 on July 30th)
- Miner’s Lady 8H in Harper’s Ferry, WV