Trails Collective’s Weekly Rundown | July 16, 2021
July 15th, 2021
In the Media
I haven’t listened to it yet, but am planning on it as I drive in their direction….CULTRA Trail Running Podcast, for episode #145 dug into the Toughest Trail Races in the Northeast Lineup. I’m hoping to keep that document somewhat living and modify / update as qualified opinions weigh in. For all of you who follow the most excellent CULTRA antics, you’ll understand that calling them qualified in much is a stretch, but, I’m looking forward to hearing them quite possibly carry on with a bit of trash talking on the lineup.
Catch the episode here:
Virgil Crest Ultras, slated for September 11 in Virgil, NY, with distances ranging from 50k – 100 mile w/ a relay option, are up 3% to being 95% full: https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=83119
Tesla Hertz Run’s 100k and 10 milers slated for October 9 in Rocky Point, NY is holding steady at 92% full with only 2 spots remaining in the 100k and 3 for the 10 mile. The 50k already capped, there are 23 spots remaining for the 50 miler. The 100 mile distance is showing as safe at the moment.
The Goshen Gallop 5k and 10k’s, set for July 17th in Goshen, VT are on the warning tracks at 93% Full. This is one that I’d missed in our rundown of our Region’s Historic events. Started in 1978, and unchanged since, this year will be its 43rd running which is crazy impressive. Get on it now!
Joshua Thomas 2h 48m for the 14 mile AT Roller Coaster from VA7 to US 50. This lowers the prior mark set by James Meehan in April of this year by 15 minutes. Feeling the flow he decided to just keep on going, turning back for the return trip, and setting a new mark of 6h 20m to shave 2h 27m off of Mike Wardian’s mark from January.
- 7-11 Free Slurpee Day Ultra 60k in Meriden, CT
No results yet posted and, given that the image and concept reminds me as much of the movie Clerks, or, Jay and Silent Bob, I’d be surprised if results were posted let alone this quickly.
- Angevine Farm Half Marathon’s 2k, 5k, 5k Canicross, ½ Marathon & 50k put on by the crew of Steep Endurance ran its third year in Warren, CT. The course sounds like a great blend of variable but runnable terrain from fields to singletrack, with a bit of climbing to keep it fresh. Winners on the day,and in the 50k, went to the non-stop Daniel Bates in 5:28 with the top female spot going to 4th place finisher Ellen Beth. Ellen lays down a new course record with her 5:57 finish. In the Half, Julen Lugambio and Kelli Montgomery. In the 5k Brandon Leclair and Kristina Reech, both establishing new CR’s given a first year distance. In the 5k Canicross Jason Cebula and Anna Garsten. And in the 2k Farm Challenge, Eric Ciocca and Ava Salamandra. Results: https://ultrasignup.com/results_event.aspx?did=85405
Clip in from top female 50k’r Ellen Beth, as well as 5k Canicrosser Anna Garsten.
- Catoctin 50k and Half Cat in Frederick, MD, one of the trail event elders in our region, first running in 1995. In the 50k field Nicolas Crouzier took the day with the second fastest time in event history and narrowly missing the course record in a time of 4:39:11. For the women’s field Michelle Miller took the win in 5:42 and inside of the top 10 overall in 8th place,. In the 25k, only 4 years old as a distance, Felix Choquet took the win in 2:39 with Jana Fridrichova second overall in 2:42, both establishing new course records. Actually the top 3 men and 4 women were all under the prior record marks.
- The Chesterfield Gorge Ultra and 25k, directed by the most able Amy Ruisecki of Beast Coast Trail Running, ran in the most beautiful Chesterfield Gorge in West Chesterfield Mass. Runners are able to choose their distance from 25k, 50k, 50M, 100K or 100M, and using a 15.5 mile out-back format along the Westfield River in the Chesterfield Gorge. I’m not sure on results and it would take a licensed detective to find them. But, for a photo rundown of the event head over to the coverage by Chris Wristen at MassUltra here: https://massultra.com/2021/07/13/photos-chesterfield-gorge-ultra-3/#more-3995
For our rundown of Most Scenic regional races check out: https://trailscollective.com/2021/07/01/best-trail-races-in-the-northeast-most-scenic/
Weighing in on the day, a clip from Carina Halloran.
In New Hampshire
- Loon Mountain Race in Lincoln, NH, 3rd Toughest 10k in the Northeast, a prior National Mtn Running Champs venue and national team qualifier.
Of around 650 finishers, the overall win to Edward Owens in a flying time of 48:28 with Stephen Kerr and Justin Freeman rounding out the podium in just over 52.. For the women’s field, the win was earned by the always fit, tough, and fast Kasie Enman in 56:56 with Kassandra Marin runner-up in 59:37 and Lila Gaudrault in 1:00:40. My first reaction is, who the sam-hell is Edward Owens? Although Loon’s course changes a bit each year, or over the years, and this year .7 miles shorter than some standard / prior’s, Edward’s time, adjusted for distance would put him in in the 53’s. That’s still flying at Loon and on par with world mountain team members of prior years. I dug in a bit to check is prior college / track results and with East Coast roots. Fast, but not crazy fast. But, could be consistent enough of a potential which, if paired with a bit of Zach Miller training, could yield a breakout on the trail scene. Keep an eye on that one.
Clips in from RD and Six03 master chef, Tom Hooper and 2nd place woman, Kassandra Marin.
In New Jersey
- Fat Sass Switchback Challenge 5k, 3H & 6H made use of a 1 mile loop at the South Mountain Reservation in Millburn, NJ. Winners including Darwin Aguirre and Lisa Klus in the 5k, Joanna Kadiera and Sergiy Chepyshev in the 3H, and Roselyn Bedoya and Nick Cruz in the 6H. Results will be here.
Clips with a few virgin Trail Runners weighing in on their first and good days to be on the trail.
In New York
- Red Wing Trail Challenge 15k & 60k put on by Steve and his crew at Conquer the World Endurance iat the Red Wing Recreation Area in Lagrangeville, NY. Of 23 first-year-distance 60k finishers Marcin Kulakowski took the win in 6:22 to set the benchmark course record with Abigail Tracy in 3rd overall for the women’s mark. Of 51 in the 15k Bruce Hotaling sets a new benchmark at 1:21 with Gabriela Olivera in 1:24 for the women’s mark.
- 0 SPF Half’ish Marathon, Rochester, NY, put on by TrailsRoc, makes use of some of Rochester’s best and flowy trails in the Seneca and Crescent Trails. Of 106 finishers, Phil Nesbitt took the win in 1:45:04 with Shane Urban close behind at 1:46:00. For the women, Ellie Pell was 4th overall in 1:55 with Hanna Yorkey and Elizabeth Matthews rounding out the podium. Clip from Phil Nesbitt.
- Chernisky Classic 5k & 10k ran in Ebensburg, PA, no results yet listed.
- The Allegheny Trail Runners put on the Camp Anderson Endurance Shindig weekend of community and running. They offered 3H, 6H, and 12H events on Saturday using a 2 mile course with camping pre and post. Tomas Castro took the 12H win with 54 miles with Danielle Barney lead female with 46. In the 6H Gary Lampman topped the field with 30 miles covered, and top female Amber Merulli with 24. And in the 3H, AJ Kelly with 18 miles emerged on top with top female spot going to Alexis Stephens with 14.
Clips from Tomas Castro and PA’s trail momma, Jake Kone.
- SkyRunning World Championships, technically from 2020. In the 42k the first team USA runner to finish was PA’s Ben Robinson in 19th in 4:57. In the 68k Ultra Division, the top American finisher was Vermont’s David Hedges who finished just inside of the top 10 in 9th place in 9:00.
Ben Robinson – 19th, David Hedges – 9th with clips in from Ben.
Night Owl 9k in Williamsburg, VA
Kickin Asphalt 5k & 10k in North Conway, NH
Cacapon 12H Challenge in Berkeley Springs, WV
Goshen Gallop 5k & 10k in Goshen, VT
Chillin’ & Grillin’ Grillmaster 5k in Wise, VA
Soapstone Six 6H in Somers, CT
Bear Brook Trail Races 10k, Half Marathon, and Marathon in Allenstown, NH
Wakely Dam Ultra 55k in Piseco, NY
MFAMTL 8H in Scottsville, NY
Mt. Sparta 24H Challenge in Pittsfield, VT
A Race for the Future 24H in Pownal, ME
MCW Westfield Ultra 3H, 6H, 9H, 12H, 24H in Westfield, NJ
Mozo Double Up 11 Miler in Stowe, VT
Harriman Big Bear SquaTCh 7 Miler and Half Marathon, Tuxedo, NY
Escape from Castle Craig 5 Person Relay in Meriden, CT
Miner’s Lady 8H in Harper’s Ferry, WV
The Might Mosquito 99 Miler & Relay in Honeoye Falls, NY
Moosalamoo Ultra 14 & 36 Miler in Goshen, VT
Endless Summer 6H in Annapolis, MD
Beast of Burden 25, 50 & 100M in Lockport, NY
Jug End Loop Trail 4.2 mile and 6Hr Race, July 31st in Egremont, MA. https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=84982