Trails Collective Weekly rundown | April 2, 2021
Weekly Rundown April 2, 2021
Here’s what’s gone and going down in this week of Northeast Trail Running
Other Media and Event Hotlists
In other media:
TC Live This Week we’ll be connecting with speedster and Hoka Athlete Ben Robinson, the rematch for the 50k National Title, taking a fall rather than taking out Lipsey, and other truly hard-hitting questions you’ve come to expect out of TC Live. Tune in tonight, Thursday, at 8 pm.
MassUltra Reporting in on one of our region’s historic Trail events, TARC’s Don’t Run Boston. A pretty cool event, history, and namesake association worth checking out, and which wasn’t on my radar prior. They’re working towards official first Mass permitting since COVID cancelations knocked out in-person events.
CULTRA Episode 127, Getting Weird in the Woods with Callie Vinson. Some of you are already connected with Callie, others, like myself, first introduced via Shan Rigg’s run across the country where she crewed and prepped for her own big miles. To read from CULTRA’s episode card: “What an amazing soul Callie Vinson is- from unhealthy at 377 lbs a decade ago to lining up at the Tahoe 200 this September, we talk all things trail, running but most importantly life. Hear how her first race went (the 2016 Chicago Marathon) to what’s she’s up to now.”
The UltraSignUp Hot List
- Hyner View Trail Challenge, 25k / 50k running April 24th in North Bend, PA. This is a regional classic and consistently one of the largest events in our region. Typically it sells out pretty quickly and I’m surprised to see slots open. I’m guessing secondary to COVID shakeups and rollovers. If interested, get on it now. As of filming there were about 40 spots remaining for the 25k, and 20 for the 50k. Register here.
- Happily Running’s Shore2Shore Trail Challenge opened and is quickly filling. Saturday’s 25k is capped out with 28 spots remaining for the 50k. For Sunday’s runnings, registration is open and safe for the 50k but only 13 spots remain for the 25k.
- Registration for Grayson Highlands, a beautiful course complete with Wild Ponies running on May 2nd in Mouth of Wilson VA is about to cap out for the ½ Marathon distance with only 5 spots remaining, and with the 50k’s and 50 milers already sold out.
- 4 spots remain for the Rattling Creek 10k, 25k, and 50k’s, slated for April 10th in Halifax PA.
- Athletic Equations Chopawamsic 50k and 100k Challenge, slated to run in the beautiful woods of Prince William Forest Park VA on April 17th has only 2 spots remaining, and in the 100k distance. Now would be the time to get on this beauty:
- After arriving on the warning track just last week the classic Laurel Highlands 50k edition running June 13 in Ohiopyle, PA, is 95% full with only 10 spots remaining and should fill by this weekend.
- The Moosalamoo Ultra’s 14 and 36 mile options are both quickly rising towards there caps, both 90% full. The races are slated for July 31st in Goshen, VT. Only about 15 spots remain.
- Singletrack Maniac 50k slated for April 10th in Williamsburg, VA is up 6% this week to being 97% full for the 50k distance.
Registrations Opening April 1st
- Morgan Hill Meat Grinder ½, Marathon, and 50 Mile in Fabius, NY, scheduled for September 25th.
- The Swammie Shuffle 200 in Virginia Beach, scheduled for February 27th, 2022.
- The Old Glory Trail Runs 10k, 25k, and Ultra in Glen Lyn, VA slated for November 13th.
- The High Bridge Ultra 30k and 50k, running on October 9th in Pamplin, VA
Going to close out this week’s Episode 1 with a clip from Mike and Nelle Fox of Virginia on one of their latest and upcoming efforts and events, the NUTT Endurance Challenge. Thanks for the clip Mike and Nelle and to the Trails Collective, remember to join us Thursday night for our TC Live, and I’ll check you next week.
On the FKT Front
Scott and Debi Livingston back out for another date-running session, this round setting a new mixed-gender team mark of 7h 3m for beautiful looking 27 mile Taconic Rim through MA, CT, and NY
Mike Wardian back on the boards, covering the 16.5 mile Cape Henlopen Trails Loop in 1h 58m.
Gre Ahlswede set a new mark on the 22 mile Pinchot Trail in 3h 34m, lowering Michael Daigeaun’s time from 2017 by 13 minutes.
Barbara McMullen set a women’s supported mark of 21h 27m for a double, or out-back on the 45 mile Washington & Old Dominion Trail
Results and Voices
Big Woods Half Marathon
The Inaugural Big Woods Half put on by the Batona Trail crew ran at French Creek State Park in PA. Of 170 finishers Mark Pulea took the inaugural win in 1:39:08 with Connor Smith literally on his heels in 1:39:30. Top female spot went to the wicked fast Karen Dunn in 1:56. We were able to check in with Karen on the event and day. Results can be found here.
A 6 Hr event ran using a beautiful 5 mile loop along the shores of the beautiful Chesapeake Bay in Lusby, MD. Of 69 finishers the top men’s spot went to Matt Diestelmeier with 41.6 miles, and Mikala Shremshok for the women with 36.4 miles. Results can be found here.
This year w/ the Bavarian merging in, for Marathon and 50 Mile options ran with record entry numbers on the flowing trails surrounding Blue Marsh Lake in Leesport, PA. We had a beautiful day on the trails surrounding Blue Marsh. http://www.uberendurancesports.com/Nakedprussian.html. Of 177 in the 20 mile Naked Bavarian top spots went to Erik Pindrock in 2:36 and Kristina Whelan in 3:15. In the 40 mile young buck Benjamin Lane took the overall win in 5:19, and, flying through for a big new course record for the women, Riley Brady in 5:51. Riley, checked in to give us the rundown. For the Naked Prussian Marathon Byron Critchfield took the overall in a commanding 3:14 with Hazel Carr, running her first race and doing so phenomenally took the win in 3:42. Hazel was also able to follow up and give us a view into her first race and day. In the 50 mile, Graham Peet threw down for a solid 7:19 win, with the bankably solid Kathleen Cusick nabbing top female spot in 9:34. Graham followed up to check in on his 50 mile win. Results here.
I also put together a short video recap of the day.
Virginia Adventures Dogwood Ultras ran 10 mile, 12 Hour, 12 Hour Night, and 24 Hour options. Those results not yet posted up to UltraSignUp.
Spring on the Trails Endurance Runs,
The inaugural Spring on the Trails 3 and 6 Hour ran in Langrangeville, NY. In the 3 hour Ryan Carney took the overall win with 24.8 miles, with Emily Layden for the women with 18.6 miles. In the 6 Hour, Nicholas Mamrak took the overall win with 43.4 miles, and Capri May for the women in 37.2 miles. I was able to checkin with CT Trailmixers Michael Lo Presti on the event and day. Results here.